About Me

My photo
I am just an orchid hobbyist, trying to grow and bloom these wonderful plants. Most of the orchids are in the greenhouse, and the rest are under the patio attached to the main house.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Attempting a new orchid hybrid

This afternoon I have decided to attempt hybridizing two orchids that I have in the greenhouse.

Pod parent: Cattleya Hawaiian Wedding Song 'Virgin'


Pollen Parent: Caulocattleya Chantilly Lace 'Twinkle' (Syn. Diacattleya)


Comparison of the plant and flower sizes of the parents:






Pollen removed from the pollen parent:


Pollen attached to the stigma of the pod parent:


So in a few months I will find out of the seed pod is viable and will then attempt to germinate the seeds.
If that process is successful, then I have between four to eight years to wait if this breeding results in any desirable flowers.

John

No comments: